Reap the benefits of a plant based diet
Thinking about adopting a plant-based diet? Find out how eating your greens (and other colours!) can work wonders for your body.
Vegan diets have recently hit the headlines with over 600,000 people now following a vegan diet in the UK. A vegan diet excludes all meat and animal products, including milk, cheese and honey. Up to a third of people in the UK are looking to reduce their intake of meat and put plants at the centre of their meals, describing themselves as flexitarian or eating a plant-based diet. If you’re trying hard to get to your five a day and beyond, here are some of the great things it’s doing for your body.
8 Awesome benefits of adopting a plant-based diet
- You can start smallEating a plant-based diet doesn’t need to be all or nothing. You can slowly introduce more fruit and vegetables into your diet in place of animal products. Many people start their journey with meat-free Mondays – swapping their usual Monday evening meal for a delicious veggie-packed option. If you’re looking for a more long term challenge, 250,000 people took the pledge to take part in Veganuary in 2018 and trial a vegan diet for the month of January.
- It’s easier on your walletAdopting a plant-based diet could definitely save you money. Seasonal, local vegetables are abundant and cheap and people who eat a meat-free diet typically save over £600 a year. Yes, you can spend a lot on processed food and imported, out of season produce, but eating a plant-based whole food diet can be very cost-effective.
- You could lower your blood pressureDiets rich in plants have been linked to reduced levels of ’bad’ cholesterol (LDL) and boosted levels of natural antibodies. Fruits and vegetables are low in sodium but rich in potassium, characteristics that help lower blood pressure.
- It could shrink your waistlineWe all know that veggies are good for us, but increasing the amount of them in your diet can help you shift a few pounds. On the whole, vegetables are packed with fibre and low in fat. If they’re replacing more calorie-dense foods in your diet, you may well lose weight.
- It’s better for the planetSwitching to a plant-based diet not only benefits your health — it can help protect the environment, as well. Following a plant-based diet can help you achieve a smaller environmental footprint. Purchasing local and sustainable produce is something that we’re passionate about and it gives a much-needed boost to the local economy.
- It could make you smarterThere are no guarantees here, but fruit and vegetables are essential for brain health. A review of nine studies including over 31,000 people found that eating more fruits and vegetables led to a 20% reduction in the risk of developing cognitive impairment or dementia.
- You could lower your blood pressureMost whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and all fruits and vegetables contain high amounts of potassium and Vitamin B6, both of which help to lower blood pressure. Eating a plant-based diet also means eating less meat, which is low in potassium and can raise blood pressure.
- You’ll discover new and exciting foods!Many of our customers know us for our meat curing kits, but we’re also big fans of our veggies. In response to customer feedback, we’ve developed some delicious veggie rubs to compliment your favourite veggie recipes.
NEW – Ross & Ross Veggie Range
We have been working on developing a new Veggie range of delicious seasoning rubs to give your favourite vegetables that extra zing!
Veggie Rub 01 – A fragrant blend of Tandoori spices
This is a fragrant blend of tandoori spices, perfect for dusting over root vegetables or adding some oomph to curries.
Veggie Rub 02 – A fragrant Umami Seasoning
Is a tantalising umami blend with garlic and cayenne, giving you next-level seasoning on your favourite dishes.
Veggie Rub 03 – A Sweet, Smokey & Spicy Rub
This is a rich and smoky combination of spices with our signature Anglesey sea salt. It’s perfect for bringing big flavours to your next BBQ.
Veggie Rub 04 – A heady blend of Cajun flavours
The perfect for those who like a little extra spice in their lives. The gutsy Cajun flavours are a fantastic way to spice up pulled jackfruit or add a kick to a pot of veggie gumbo.
Veggie Rub 05 – A sweet & Spicy Combo
Is a sweet and spicy in equal measure – try adding it to hummus for the ultimate dip.
The new Veggie Rubs will be available from our online store very soon, but all of our products are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Try our award-winning roast potato oil for the crispest and most flavoursome roasties and a generous sprinkle of Brussels sprout dust to turn an unpopular side dish into the main attraction.